Kindergarten Family Coordinator
Welcome to Kindergarten!
Connecting with families and supporting parents in joining the Woodland District 50 community is important to us. Students that see caregivers actively involved in their learning environment have greater success in school. We hope you will feel comfortable at Woodland Primary School. Please join us throughout the school year for the many events and opportunities we have for families.
Here are just a few ways you can connect to your child's school:
- Attend Welcome Day, Veteran’s Day, and Halloween Events
- Attend Curriculum Night (i.e. meet the teacher and other parents, hear about how to support learning, see the classroom)
- Volunteer in the classroom for parties or learning support
- Volunteer on Green Apple Day of Service
- Attend Parent-Teacher Conferences and learn about your child as a student.
- Attend parent learning opportunities and build your parenting toolbox
- Connect in the virtual classroom community through Seesaw
- Participate in Latino Literacy Nights
- Participate in the Holiday Food Drive
- Become a member of the Parent Teacher Association (PTA) or the Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee (BPAC).
If you would like to participate in one of these events or if you have questions about kindergarten and beyond, please reach out to your child's classroom teacher or the Kindergarten Family Coordinator.
What are other reasons a parent/caregiver would contact the Kindergarten Family Coordinator?
- Help with connecting to community resources to assist with housing, medical, food, mental health, before/after-school programs or parenting support.
- Questions on how to advocate for their child at school.
- Help with connecting to information on parenting and supporting a student.
- Questions about information they received from the school.
- Questions on how to become more involved at their child’s school.
- Concerns about a family in the district.
School & Community Resources (Click on the link below)
Primary School Parent Resource Hub
A collection of community resources and information for parents and caregivers of Kindergarten students.
Meet The Kindergarten Family Coordinator
Degrees and Certifications:
Kristen Carruthers, LSW
Kristen joined the Woodland Primary team as the Kindergarten Family Coordinator in the Fall of 2022. She has a diverse background working with families and youth in residential behavioral health, community outreach and prevention as well as K-12 school settings. Kristen received her Master’s of Social Work degree through Indiana University and is a Certified School Social Worker and a Licensed Social Worker in the state of Illinois.
Kristen has resided in Gurnee since 2003 with her husband and two children. Both of her children attended Woodland District 50 and Warren Township High School. Kristen and her family have enjoyed being active members of the diverse Woodland community and appreciate the opportunities it has provided.
To connect with Kristen, see her contact information below:
Translation and interpreter support are available upon request.